California Department of Motor Vehicles – Office Location
DMV Office Address
1377 Fell Street
San Francisco, 94117
View Larger Map
Office Working Hours
|Monday||8:00 am to 5:00 pm|
|Tuesday||8:00 am to 5:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am to 5:00 pm|
|Thursday||8:00 am to 5:00 pm|
|Friday||8:00 am to 5:00 pm|
- Drivers License Services
- Vehicle Registration Services
- ID Card Processing Services
San Francisco CA is the financial hub of western coast and second most densely populated metropolis in US. Famous for the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco is known as the Baghdad at the Bay and Paris of the west. The city was founded in 1770’s as a Spanish Fort the city was incorporated in 1850. The years of 1850’s and 60’s mushroomed the growth of the city because of California Gold Rush. Since then the city has been progressing with a futuristic outlook.
San Francisco has the population of almost 825,000 residents (source: US government census data) making it the 4th largest city of California. The city has total number of almost 470,000 registered vehicles and 385,000 are registered automobiles and cars (source: wikianswers). With the area of just 47 square miles DMV San Francisco has to be very active and vigilant to ensure proper and safe flow of the traffic. The high population density and almost 8500 cars per square mile in the city make traffic management with proper enforcement of traffic laws as one of the primary responsibilities of San Francisco DMV office.
To achieve the target of smooth and safe traffic flow in the city, San Francisco office of DMV has to perform some critical and important activities which are:
- Scrutinizing the driver’s education applicant with the help of written and road test to ensure that the applicant meets the driving requirement and is fit for driving
- Scrutinizing the automobiles randomly to make sure that the automobiles are safe to drive and that the emissions from these automobiles are within allowable limits
- Registering all the vehicles within San Francisco County to keep a proper record for future use and for record keeping for future reference in case of felony or crime
- Handing over the driving laws booklet and driver’s handbook to the visitors to ensure that people maintain knowledge of traffic laws to follow while driving on the roads
- Maintaining the records of all drivers and vehicles from San Francisco County, and sharing these records with the authorities as and when needed in case of a crime or felony
- Issuing and later processing of traffic tickets and penalties for violations by the drivers
There is just one DMV office in San Francisco County area owing to very small size of the county. This single office provides all DMV related services that are being offered by California Department of Motor Vehicles. Visitors can expect long queues and waiting time, therefore, it is advised to make prior appointment before arriving at the office. The appointment can be made either in person or by calling to the phone number of the office.
San Francisco DMV office performs at its best to provide exceptional services and information to the people but majority of the responsibility related to the traffic laws lies with the drivers on the roads.
If you want to find DMV Office Locations in another State, click on your required state in the map below.